Mithali Raj Profile – A trained dancer turns into the Best women Cricketer!
Profile of Mithali Raj:
Mithali Raj was born on December 3, 1982, in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India. Her father, Dorai Raj, was an Airman in Indian Air Force, and her mother, Leela Raj, had worked with Lawrence and Mayo.
She used to be a lazy kid, so her father used to take her out to practice cricket early in the morning.
Raj has a brother named Mithun. She used to practice with her brother at St. John’s Academy in Secunderabad.
Later, former first-class cricketer Jyothi Prasad recognized Raj’s batting skills and helped her to hone cricket skills.
At the age of 10, she had to quit her passion for Bharatnatyam, and on her coach’s suggestion, she started playing under the guidance of Samantha Kumar, Hyderabad’s then age-level head coach.
Mithali Raj Profile:
|Mithali Raj’s Profile|
|Full Name||Mithali Dorai Raj|
|Date of Birth||December 03, 1982|
|Age||40 years, 5 months (in 2023)|
|Birth Place||Jaipur, Rajasthan|
|School||Keyes High School For Girls, Secunderabad.|
Kasturba Gandhi Junior College for Women in West Marredpally, Secunderabad
|Family & Relationships|
R. S. R. Murthy
|Playing Role||Top-order batsman|
|Batting Style||Right-hand bat|
|Bowling Style||Right-arm Legbreak|
|Major Teams||India, Air India Women, Asia Women XI, India Blue Women, Velocity|
|Test Debut||India Women vs England Women at Lucknow, (January 14, 2002)|
|ODI Debut||India Women vs Ireland Women at Milton Keynes, (June 26, 1999)|
|T20 Debut||England Women vs India Women at Derby, (August 5, 2006)|
Cricket Career of Mithali Raj :
In 1995, at the age of 13, Mithali played her first National level cricket match for Andhra Pradesh. After that, she showed her skills in the under-16 and the under-19 age-level cricket.
Due to her fantastic performance, she was placed in the probable for the 1997 Women’s Cricket World Cup. But ultimately, she couldn’t find her place in the team.
On June 26, 1999, Mithali Raj made her ODI debut against Ireland and smashed a century on her debut match. She scored 114 runs with an opening partnership of 258 runs with Reshma Gandhi.
In 2000, Diana Edulji, former cricketer, helped her to play for Railways.
Raj made her Test debut on June 14, 2002, against England, in which she bowled at 0 by Holden.
But soon made her comeback as she smashed a half-century in the second match and scored record 214 runs in the third match. Later in 2004, Pakistan’s Kiran Baloch broke the record.
On August 5, 2006, She made her T20I debut against England, in which she scored 28 runs in 37 balls. After Mithali, Harmanpreet Kaur became the captain of the Indian cricket women’s team.
On September 03, 2019, she took retirement from T20 internationals. Later, on March 12, 2021, Raj completed her 10,000 runs in international cricket and became the first Indian woman to do so.
A year later, on June 09, 2022, she announced her retirement from Tests & ODI. After that, in 2023, she became the mentor and advisor of Gujarat Titans in Women’s Premier League (WPL).
Mithali’s Cricket Records:
- At the age of 17, She became the youngest female player to make a century.
- Most ODI Matches are played by a Women Cricketer (203* Matches).
- In July 2017, Mithali became the first Women Cricketer to complete 6,000 runs.
- Highest runs scored in Women ODI Cricket (6720* Runs).
- Most half-centuries in Women ODI Cricket ( 52* fifty).
- She leads the team in most Women ODI Matches as a Captain. 126 Matches, won – 77 Matches, Lost – 46 Matches, N.R. – 3.
- First Indian Women Cricketer to score 1000+ World Cup runs.
- She has a record of scoring seven consecutive half-centuries.
- Mithali is the first Indian woman cricketer to score 10,000 international runs. Also, she is only the second woman cricketer who has achieved the feat after England’s Charlotte Edwards.
Mithali Raj Hobbies/Facts:
- She likes to read books.
- Mithali Raj doesn’t like to compare herself with any other Cricketer.
- She wanted to be a classical dancer.
- Mithali is a trained Bharatnatyam dancer.
- Her father introduced her to cricket.
Some more facts of Raj:
- She was honored with Arjuna Award in the year 2003.
- In 2015, She was honored with Padma Shri (India’s 4th highest Civilian Award).
- Youth Sports icon of Excellence Award in the year 2017.
- She has been awarded as the Vogue’ Sportsperson of the year 2017.
- 2017 Wisden leading Woman Cricketer in the World.
- She lists in the BBC 100 Women list of 2017.
Frequently asked questions on Google:
Q1: Who is Mithali Raj’s husband?
Ans: She is unmarried.
Q2: Is Mithali a Tamilian?
Q3: What is the age of Mithali Raj?
Ans: 40 years, 5 months (in 2023)
Q4: What is the height of Mithali Raj?
Ans: 5ft. 4” (1.63m or 163 cm).
Q5: What are the hobbies of Mithali Raj?
Ans: She likes to dance and read books.
Social Media Accounts:
- MD Thirushkamini
- Atharva Ankolekar
- Kyle Jamieson
- Yashasvi Jaiswal
- Priyam Garg
- Mayank Agarwal
- Jhye Richardson
- JJ Smuts
- Richa Ghosh
I hope you liked the Biography of cricketer Mithali Raj and if you have any queries regarding this post, let us know in the comment box.
Explore the journey of notable figures through our curated selection of Biographies. If you find it engaging, kindly share it with your social circle. Thank you.
2 thoughts on “Mithali Raj Profile, Age, Height, Family, Husband, Hobbies & Facts”
Tolk too u mitali