Kagiso Rabada Biography – From a Rugby player to the furious Cricket Bowler!
Family Background / Early Life:
Kagiso Rabada was born on May 25, 1995. His father, Mpho Rabada is a doctor and mother, Florence Rabada is a lawyer. He has a brother named Atlegang Rabada.
His childhood was mostly spent in Gauteng’s Mamelodi & Johannesburg’s West Rand. He started his sports career by playing Rugby for his school team.
Then after the offseason of Rugby, he started playing cricket. Later, he was ignored by the respective selectors of the A level cricket team and the Rugby team. So he decided to quit Rugby and started focusing only on cricket.
Later, he won a sports scholarship from St. Stithians where he improved his skills and started playing age-level cricket.
Kagiso Rabada Biography:
|Full Name||Kagiso Rabada|
|Date of Birth||May 25, 1995|
|Birth Place||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Age||25 years (in 2020)|
|School||Bryanston Parallel Medium School|
|College||St. Stithians Boys College|
|Family & Relationships|
|Siblings||Atlegang Rabada (Brother)|
|Batting Style||Left-hand bat|
|Bowling Style||Right-arm fast|
|Major Teams||South Africa, Gauteng, Gauteng Under-19s, Lions, South Africa A, South Africa Colts XI, South Africa Under-19s, Delhi Capitals|
|International Test Debut||India vs South Africa at Mohali (November 5-7, 2015)|
|ODI Debut||Bangladesh vs South Africa at Dhaka (July 10, 2015)|
|T20I Debut||Australia vs South Africa at Adelaide, (November 5, 2014)|
|First-Class Debut||Gauteng vs Easterns at Johannesburg (March 13-15, 2014)|
|List-A Debut||Border vs Gauteng at East London (December 8, 2013)|
|T-20 Debut||Griqualand West va Gauteng at Kimberley (January 26, 2014)|
In 2013, he started his Domestic cricket career with a List-A cricket match, which went normal but gets selected in the 2014 U-19 World Cup. In the semi-final against Australia in the tournament, he took 6 wickets for 25 runs which ultimately lead his team to win the U-19 World Cup.
Along with India’s Kuldeep Yadav and Namibia’s JB Wessels, Rabada was the second-highest wicket-taker with 14 wickets in the tournament, whereas Srilanka’s SANJ Fernando was the leading wicket-taker of the tournament.
Due to some splendid performances in the World Cup earned him a contract with the Lions, a Central Gauteng and North West Provinces’ cricket franchise. In February 2015, he took 14 wickets for 105 runs against the Dolphins, which is a record in the franchise cricket.
Dale Steyn was the previous record holder with the same number of wickets but, it cost him 110 runs.
Domestic Cricket Career:
On December 8, 2013, he made his List-A Cricket career debut for Gauteng against Border. In this match, he took 2 wickets for 48 runs in his 8 overs.
After 1 & a half months, in January 2014, Rabada made his T20 debut against Grequaland in which his bowling stats were 3/12 in 4 overs.
Later, On March 13, 2014, he made his First-Class Cricket debut against Easterns. His bowling stats in the match were- 15 overs, 5 maidens, 3/28 in first innings & 9 overs, 4 maidens, 11 runs for no wicket.
International Cricket Career:
On November 5, 2014, Kagiso made his international cricket debut at age of 19 with a T20 match against Australia in which his stats were 3 overs & 0 wickets for 27 runs.
At the age of 20, in 2015, on July 10, he made his ODI debut versus Bangladesh. Rabada’s record stats in the match were – 8 overs, 3 maidens & 6 wickets with a hat-trick for 16 runs. He also won the Man of the Match award.
Before Kagiso Rabada, Allen Donald was the only South African player who took a hat-trick on his ODI debut match.
On 5 November 2015, he made his Test Debut versus India in India. Kagiso’s stats in the match were- 10 overs, 30 runs for 1 wicket in 1st innings & 7 maidens, 0/19 runs in 12 overs. He scored a total of two runs & remained not out in the match.
In April 2019, he was selected for the 2019 Cricket World Cup.
Cricket Stats of Kagiso Rabada:
|Best Bowling |
IPL Career of Kagiso Rabada:
In IPL 2017, Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) signed Rabada for a price of INR 5 crores. He played 6 matches in the season and took 6 wickets with an economy of 8.81. His best bowling figures in the season were 2/20.
Due to his back injury, he missed the IPL 2018 season.
In IPL 2019, Kagiso was bought by Delhi Capitals with a salary of 4.20 Crores via RTM (Right to Match). He was bought by CSK but D.D. used the RTM to get him in their squad.
His base price at the IPL auction was 1.5 crores. Rabada played 12 matches in the tournament & took 25 wickets with an economy of 7.28. His best bowling figures were 4/21. He is part of the same team for IPL 2020.
|Rabada's IPL Stats|
Facts about Kagiso Rabada:
- In the African language, Kagiso means peace but he has been quite aggressive on the field.
- Initially, he used to play Rugby.
- He runs a foundation for Underprivileged children.
- At the age of 22 years & 231 days, Kagiso Rabada became the youngest bowler to be ranked no. 1 in Test Cricket. He broke the record of George Lohmann, who holds the record for nearly 130 years.
- Favorite bowlers – Shane Warne, Curtly Ambrose, Glenn McGrath, Malcolm Marshall, and Wasim Akram.
- Rabada is the only bowler after Fidel Edwards (West Indies) who took a 6 wicket haul on his ODI debut match.
- CSA named him the South African Cricketer of the year 2016. His first international wicket was Glenn Maxwell.
- Kagiso Rabada is only the third South African to take an ODI hat-trick after Charl Langeveldt & JP Duminy.
- He was the leading Test wicket-taker of the year 2018. He got 52 wickets in 20 innings with an average of 20.07.
- In 2018, he became the youngest bowler to take 150 Test wickets at the age of 23 years & 50 days. Previously, the record was claimed by India’s Harbhajan Singh at the age of 23 years & 106 days.
- On January 22, 2016, Kagiso Rabada became the youngest South African to take 10 wickets in a match at the age of 20 years & 242 days. He took 13 wickets against England at the Centurion ground.
- Kagiso was named as the best young player by Wisden in the year 2018.
- He likes to listen to music, play the piano & enjoy playing FIFA.
- KG is an avid book reader.
6 Awards at Cricket South Africa’ Awards:
Kagiso Rabada won 6 CSA (Cricket South Africa) Awards in 2018.:-
- SA Cricketer of the Year.
- Castle Lager Test Cricketer of the Year.
- Castle Lager ODI Cricketer of the Year.
- SA Players’ Player of the Year.
- SA Fans’ Player of the Year.
- RAM Delivery of the Year.
Social Media Accounts:
Frequently asked questions on Google:
1. What is the age of Kagiso Rabada?
Ans: 25 yrs (in 2020)
2. What is the height of Kagiso Rabada?
Ans: 6′ 3″
3. What is the bowling speed of Kagiso Rabada?
Ans: He can consistently bowl between 140-150 Kmph.
4. What is the name of the brother of Kagiso Rabada?
Ans: Atlegang Rabada
5. Who is the wife of Kagiso Rabada?
Ans: He is not married yet.
- Josh Philippe
- Mayank Agarwal
- Ravi Bishnoi
- Alex Carey
- Priyam Garg
- Richa Ghosh
- Yuzvendra Chahal
- MD Thirushkamini
- JJ Smuts
- Apurvi Chandela
Hope you liked the Biography of Kagiso Rabada and if you have any query related to it, then definitely tell us in the comment box.
If you find this Post share-worthy, kindly share it with your friends and the loved ones.